Planning Department Functions

Current Projects

General Plan

Environmental Review

Planning Commission

Plans, Laws, Ordinances, and Studies

Application Download


Energy Reduction / Renewable Energy

Interactive Mapping (GIS)



Contact Information

Yucca Mountain Office

Inyo County's Main Website


Planning Home --> Current Projects
   Short Term Vacation Rentals (Transient Occupancy)  
Upcoming Meetings and Important Dates:

Short term vacation rentals - anything rented for 30-days or less, are considered non-compliant with the Inyo County Code and as such are treated as Zoning Violations.

If you have questions or concerns about potential Short Term Vacation Rentals, please contact the Inyo County Planning Department


If you you wish to file a Zoning Violation Compliant, please find the form at: CodeEnforcement

Fill it out and return to the Inyo County Planning Department

Processing a Zoning Violation requires a written complaint form, staff cannot act on a potential violation without it. Please note: remedying a violation can be a long process.

Due to the proliferation of Short Term Vacation Rentals through on-line hosts, such as Air B&B, etc., the Board of Supervisors has requested that Planning Department staff evaluate the use and potential future regulation. Please contact the Planning Department if you would like to be on a contact list for future meetings and workshops at or by phone at (760) 878-0263

The status of Short Term Vacation Rentals is based on a 2006 Board of Supervisors decision

The Board’s decision was approved with a finding that stated: “one family residential zone districts do not allow for short-term, transient accommodation uses as a primary permitted use, a conditional use or an accessory use; therefore, short-term transient accommodation uses in a one family residence zones is in violation of the - One Family Zone District as set forth in the Inyo County Code Section 18.30.” This decision has guided the Planning Department’s dealings with short-term vacation rentals since, and as such, they are considered a zoning violation.





Please contact the Planning Department at or by phone at (760) 878-0263

Please Join Us 


NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN the Inyo County Planning Commission will hold a public hearing Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in the Board of Supervisors Room, County Administrative Center, Independence, CA, to consider the following:

Zone Text Amendment (ZTA) No. 2017-04 Short-Term Rentals

On August 23, 2017 staff held a workshop with the Planning Commission to discuss Short Term Rentals in the County; the results of the five community workshops held throughout the County; and, a discussion draft short term rental ordinance that was prepared based on what other jurisdictions have created and the comments collected at the community workshops. Based on the Commissioner’s and public comments from the August 23 workshop staff updated the discussion draft and prepared a draft ordinance for comment, and potentially a recommendation from the Planning Commission to the Board of Supervisors for adoption.


If you challenge any finding, determination, or decision made regarding this project in court, you may be limited to raising only the issues you or someone else raised at the public hearing described in this notice, or in written correspondence delivered prior to the hearing.


Comments can be made regarding this project via U.S. Mail (PO Drawer L, Independence, CA 93526), Fax [(760) 878-0382], or by email (  If you have any questions, please contact the Planning Department at (760) 878-0263.  Project materials are posted on the Planning Department website at: under “Current Projects.”



The Planning Commission will be conducting a Workshop on Short Term Vacation Rentals on Wednesday August 23 at the regularly scheduled meeting begining at 10:00a.m. at the Board of Supervisors Hearing Room - 224 North Edwards Street, Independence


Staff Report with Draft Short Term Vacation Rental Ordinance


Public Meeting Comments

June 19th  – Lone Pine


June 26th  – Big Pine


June 28th  – Tecopa


June 29th  – Independence


July  6th   – Bishop




Inyo County is seeking public input on Short Term Vacation Rentals

(Air B&B type businesses) in residential zones

The following community workshops are scheduled to provide information on the current status of Short Term Vacation Rentals with regard to the County’s Zoning Code and to gather public input on the desired future of the use. 

June 19th  – Statham Hall, 138 Jackson Street, Lone Pine

June 26th  – Big Pine Town Hall, 150 Dewey Street, Big Pine

June 28th  – Tecopa Community Center, 405 Tecopa Hot Springs Rd, Tecopa

June 29th  – Legion Hall Independence, 201 S. Edwards St., Independence

July  6th   – No. Inyo Hospital District Board Room, 2957 Birch St., Bishop

All meetings will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

You are welcome at all!

Workshop Presentation

Wednesday February 22, Planning Commission Workshop 10:00 a.m. at the Inyo County Board of Supervisors Hearing Room.

December 13, 2016, Board of Supervisors Workshop

October 25, 2016, Board of Supervisors Workshop


Copyright 1998-2007 County of Inyo.